Sunday, October 20, 2019

Where do I go to get a zoning permit?

If the property is located in a township under Isabella County’s zoning jurisdiction the Isabella County Community Development Office issues the zoning permit. This office is located on the first floor of the Isabella County Building, 200 N. Main St., Room 105, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858.

Do I need a zoning permit?

Zoning permits are needed for:

  • New construction
  • Changing the use of a building, structure and/or land
  • Erecting, raising, moving, reconstructing, extending or enlarging any building, structure or part thereof

What do I need when I apply for my zoning permit?

  • Correct property tax ID number
  • Correct legal description of the property
  • Correct address of the property
  • Septic approval (when applicable)
  • Soil Erosion evaluation (when applicable)
  • Property owners signature
  • Completed plot plan
  • Copy of township split approval (when applicable)
  • Copy of new deed (when applicable)

What information is required on a plot plan?

  • North arrow
  • All property lines with dimensions
  • Proposed streets, walks and drives
  • All existing and proposed building sizes
  • Distance from side and rear property lines to all existing and proposed buildings
  • Distance from the front property lines, as measured from the edge of the road right of way
  • Distance from proposed construction to existing buildings on site
  • Height of all proposed buildings
  • Property owners signature

What is the procedure if I am building something other than a residential building?

Procedures can vary depending on each circumstance. Contact the Isabella County Zoning Administrator by phone at (989) 317-4067 or at the Isabella County Building, 200 N. Main St., Room 105, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858.

Do I need a zoning permit for a shed?

Zoning permits are not required for residential accessory buildings under 200 square feet. However you are required to still maintain the district front setback requirements as well as allow for 5 feet from any rear or side yards.

What are my setbacks?

Setbacks are the distance a structure is required to be from the property lines. Setbacks vary depending on Zoning District. Contact the Zoning Administrator for individual property requirements.

What if I can not meet the required setbacks?

Sometimes due to the nature of the construction or the layout of a piece of land you may not be able to meet the required district setbacks. You would then need to apply for a Variance. Variance cases are heard by the Isabella County Zoning Board of Appeals. Contact the Zoning Administrator for application procedures.

What is my property zoned?

Please see our zoning maps.

Does my zoning district allow for a single wide manufactured home?

The Isabella County Zoning Ordinance does not prohibit single wide manufactured homes. However, the zoning ordinance does have minimum dwelling width requirements for each zoning district. Manufactured homes built prior to 1976 are not permitted. You must submit a title for the home to guarantee its age.

How do I report a potential Zoning Violation?

To report a violation, you can contact the Community Development Department and request a complaint form. Our forms are also available online. You must provide the owners name, address and the nature of the complaint.

What are the associated with zoning applications?

Zoning Permit $50.00
Variance Request $150.00
Home Occupation Permit $50.00
Rezoning Request $300.00
Administrative Site Plan Review $50.00
Planning Commission Site Plan Review $100.00
Special Use Permits $150.00
Temporary Zoning $50.00
Zoning Appeals Request $150.00
Zoning Ordinance with maps $20.00
Master Plan $25.00

end faq