If you are the recent victim of a crime please click here for important information that will allow us to assist you and respond to your concerns and questions more quickly.
You are not alone. For support in issues of domestic violence, contact Women's Aid Services at (989) 772-9168.
Definition of Domestic Violence:
- Michigan law defines domestic violence as an assault or assault and battery by a spouse, former spouse, an individual with whom the victim has or had a dating relationship, a person residing or having resided in the same household as the victim, or a person having a child in common with the victim.
Statutes: Domestic Assault [MCL 750.81]
- Under this statute, the victim need not be injured. Criminal penalties are:
- 1st conviction (misdemeanor): Up to 93 days in jail and/or $500 fine
- 2nd conviction (misdemeanor): Up to 1 year in jail and/or $1000 fine
- 3rd conviction (felony): Up to 2 years in prison and/or $2500 fine
Aggravated Domestic Assault [MCL 750.81a]
- Under this statute, the victim must receive serious or aggravated injuries (requiring medical attention).
Criminal penalties are:
- 1st conviction (misdemeanor): Up to 1 year in jail and/or $1000 fine
- 2nd conviction (felony): Up to 2 years in prison and/or $2500 fine
Batterer Characteristics (including, but not limited to):
- *Low self-esteem
- *Blames others for their actions
- *Tries to control victim
- *Comes from violent family; may have been abused as a child
- *Assaults verbally as well as physically
- *Explosive temper
- *Tries to isolate the victim from friends and family
- *Denies beatings or the severity of beatings
- *Will do whatever it takes to get victim back after an assault, only to repeat cycle
As the victim, can I drop the charges if I change my mind?
- No. It is up to the Prosecutor who is in charge of the case. We are looking out for the interests of everyone involved, not just the victim but also any children involved and the community as a whole. It is necessary that the abuser take responsibility for his/her actions.