On February 11, 1859 the state legislature organized Isabella County and a commission was appointed by the governor to establish the county seat at Isabella Centre. In 1860 voters approved the transfer of the county seat to Mount Pleasant.
Isabella County is proud to be home to Central Michigan University, the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, the City of Mount Pleasant, and hundreds of other interesting and exciting things to see and do.
Isabella County was first set off as a separate county in 1831; the first township was Coe Township in 1855. In 1859, by Act No. 118 of the Michigan Legislature, Isabella County was officially organized. Isabella County was once one of the most magnificent pine and hardwood areas in all of the Great Lakes region. It was part of the Indian's winter hunting grounds and was called "Ojibiway Besse" (the place of the Chippewa). Indians may have traveled in and around the area for as many as 10,000 years. The appearance of Europeans is recent by comparison. Father Henry Nouvel, successor to Father Marquette, spent a winter here in 1675 with the Beaver Clan of the Chippewa Indians. Almost 200 years passed before Europeans returned to Central Michigan.